[Twisted-web] LivePage cannot append rows to tables?

Mike Pelletier mike at mkp.ca
Mon Nov 21 15:14:43 MST 2005

I'm at my wit's end!  Have mercy on a clueless JS user and examine the
attached page.

The problem it illustates is one I am having with livepage.js's
nevow_appendNode function.  I am finding that whenever I attempt to append a
row to a table (or to a tbody, or for that matter to anything else) the HTML
is silently stripped out and my node is added as a single #TEXT node.
However, appending a DIV works fine, even when technically illegal; a DIV
node containing the #TEXT is added.

The attachment includes a copy'n'pasted version of nevow_appendNode.  The only
modification I have made to it is to add an alert() which demonstrates the
precise point of failure; assigning "what" to "newspan.innerHTML".  Note that
get the same behaviour from FF and IE, while Konq just barfs with a DOM
exception 7.

I simply don't know how to chase this one down any further.  I hope someone
will tell me I'm a moron and point out what I've done wrong, but I think the
solution is going to require a change to nevow_appendNode.

Thanks muchly,
Mike.