[Twisted-web] State and web2 (or, how to not follow REST)

Clark C. Evans cce at clarkevans.com
Sun Nov 20 13:45:30 MST 2005

This is an attempt to summarize a conversation I had /w glyph on
#twisted.web earlier today.  I've attached the IRC log.  The basic
problem discussed was how to manage server-side state; which in
particular includes sessions and authentication.  Stateful servers
cause serious problems with scalability and with bug hunting.

Glyph is adamant that getSession() as it currently works (by raising a
redirect exception if the session does not already exist) must be fixed.
I absolutely agree with this; as it currently stands the top-level
resource must always ask for a Session object to avoid unexpected
redirects down the request stream.  This shouldn't be a lesson of
experience; it should be built-in convention.

A related issue, one to which Glyph is very concerned about, is the
implicit coupling of resources during the handling of a given request.
In particular, where a resource X (located at /foo) sets a variable V in
the request R and then a resource Y (at /foo/bar) comes to depend upon
this variable V.  If this coupling is not made explicit and checked-for,
then an opportunity for rather obscure bugs emerge; one where the
resource Y is re-used in another context (say at /bing/bar) and still
assumes that V is set.   While Twisted framework cannot prevent such
nonsense, it should propose an alternative mechanism, or at the very
least not promote such dynamic resource dependencies.

One way to make resource dependencies explicit is to require that the
constructor for a child resource take an optional ancestor resource in
its constructor.  In this model, each user/session would in essence have
its own top-level resource, and all resources which dependended upon
session state would take in its constructor the parent resource.  This
approach has a few deficiencies: (a) there might be more than one
instance of a resource Y at /foo/bar, one for each user; this is not
only inefficient but makes debugging hard beause the relation of a URI
onto a resource object is not a relation; (b) while leaf resources, such
as a static.File object need not take a parent resource in its
constructor; it forces generic Resources to have a "pass-through" parent
Resource, even if it does not need state information.  In the IRC
conversation, I believe (and hope) this was proposed and then eventually
rejected; but I'm not sure.  I don't like the idea of any Resource
objects in the system being user or session specific.

Another alternative is to add a getSiteResource() and setSiteResource()
to the Request interface.  The SiteResource would then contain the top
level resource "/" which reflected the user's Session and any other
application specific server side state (ie, nasty persistent global-like
variables which breaks REST).  The SiteResource would therefore be an
appliation specific object; it could, for example contain an session-id
and a username property for down-stream Resource authorization.   Later
in the IRC chat, Glyph said he is "coming around to the fact that it's
not really a resource".  This is good; beacuse I don't think that this
server side state is a resource by the definition of web architecture.

I didn't mention it in the IRC chat, but I'm now thinking that these
methods on the request object could be setState() and getState(); and
that they return an arbitrary application-defined object which has all
of the nastly (but unfortunately mandatory and pratical) session and
request "global variables" that break REST and can cause all sorts of
problems.   Glyph mentioned earlier in an email that perhaps a
declarative syntax could be introduced so that arbitrary Resources could
advertise exactly what "state" they will access; and hence, these sorts
of errors could be detected and reported more intelligently.  I like
this idea; it is framework support to prompt developers to put in
the assertion checks that they should already be doing.  It codifies
a solid pratice, and this is a good thing.  ;)

I think that Glyph and I did have a clear agreement: all of the
information on the State (in Glyph's terms SiteResource) object should
be set (and perhaps made read-only?) _before_ any Resource delegation is
made.   We do have a slight (but very slight) semantic difference.  I
see the process of setting up a session and creating any server-side
state as done in a IRequestHandler _before_ any IResources are called.
Glyph sees this as being done "by a resource which sits at the the top
level".  In both models, this sort of stuff is done before your average
every-day resources are processed; my model is just more explicit and
allows for chaining IRequestHandlers (such as one for sessions, and
another one for authentiction) before IResources are processed.

I think that's about it.  I just want a simple solution to this,
and soon.

Best,

Clark