[Twisted-web] livepage

Matt Goodall matt at pollenation.net
Mon May 2 05:13:48 MDT 2005

Tommi Virtanen wrote:

> Christopher Zorn wrote:
>
>>> As I was the first to make this mistake, I'll answer : if you use Nevow
>>> behing a
>>> proxy (really, it's a proxy ? what did you mean by firewall ?), you
>>> should look
>>> after nevow.vhost.VHostMonsterResource.
>>

>> Sorry, a reverse proxy. I have an apache reverse proxy to get to the
>> server
>> running the nevow livepage application. How will
>> nevow.vhost.VHostMonsterResource
>> fix this?
>> The problem is, when I call render_liveglue it gives a tag similar to
>> <script src=http://server.behind.the.firewall.tld/nevow_glue.js />
>>
>> It needs to be the correct server or just nevow_glue.js in order to
>> work correctly.
>

> Just wanted to confirm this quickly: you must use VHostMonsterResource,
> and the code change you suggested is not needed. Without
> VHostMonsterResource, many other things will fail too; first you are
> likely to notice are redirects.
>

> To all nevow developers:
>
> On the other hand, if you want to link to a resource in the current
> directory, url.here is really unnecessary -- please try to use relative
> URLs when they work.

I don't think is a good recommendation until rend.Page stops always
handling an additional empty segment regardless of the value of
addSlash. This behaviour has already been deprecated but not yet
removed. See nevow.rend.Page.child_.

Right now, there's no way the developer can know if the URL the user
used to reach the page is /foo or /foo/ and that makes it difficult to
construct a correct relative URL.

I guess it's time to remove the deprecated child_ stuff.

- Matt

--
     __
    /  \__     Matt Goodall, Pollenation Internet Ltd
  __/  \__/    e: matt at pollenation.net
 /  \__/  \    t: +44 (0)113 2252500
 /  \	       Any views expressed are my own and do not necessarily
 \__/          reflect the views of my employer.