[Twisted-web] leightweight CMS

Christopher Armstrong radeex at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 15:37:14 MST 2005

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 23:18:12 +0100, Andrea Arcangeli
<andrea at cpushare.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 06:43:44PM +0100, Tim Terlegård wrote:
> > Is there an Open Source leightweight CMS or web system of any kind
> > that uses twisted and nevow and that stores content (atleast articles)
> > as files?
>
> FS I/O is a blocking operation (even writes can be blocking, but
> more normally only reads out of cache are blocking) so reading the files
> would stall the whole server while you wait for I/O to complete. So it's
> ok for small projects where performance isn't a big issue, but it should
> be generally discouraged since it breaks the async model of twisted. If
> you really want files, you should consider doing all blocking I/O in a
> separate thread.

I think this is a bit of an overstatement. It's not really that big of
a deal. static.File uses blocking I/O to read files, and I've written
other code that writes to them as well; if you do it in chunks of
(say) 1024kb, and don't do something stupid like run it on NFS, then
it doesn't stall the server and doesn't break the "async model of
Twisted". I always suggest evaluating files as a storage mechanism
before moving on to something more complex.

--
  Twisted   |  Christopher Armstrong: International Man of Twistery
   Radix    |    -- http://radix.twistedmatrix.com
  \\\V///   |    -- http://twistedmatrix.com
w----v----w-+    -- http://hackingsociety.org/chapters/hash