[Twisted-web] OT: ajax in zope3

Donovan Preston dp at ulaluma.com
Thu Jul 21 02:14:24 MDT 2005

On Jul 20, 2005, at 4:26 PM, Siegmund Fuehringer wrote:

> hi!
>
> there is a thread on the Z3labs-lists about how ajax for zope might
> look
> like.
> http://lists.nuxeo.com/pipermail/z3lab/2005-July/thread.html#550
>
> i didn't read every message, but it doesn't look like there is much
> consensus.
> maybe fzZzy should advertise livepage to them.

Perhaps. LivePage doesn't really sound too much like anything that is
being discussed there. LivePage is two-way asynchronous JavaScript/
Python RPC; that's all. Client-side Javascript event handlers use
XMLHttpRequest to route an event (such as onclick) to the server,
where a Python event handler is located and invoked. The result is
sent back to the browser and evaluated as Javascript.

There's not really any XML involved, unless you count XHTML embedded
in Javascript strings; it's debatable whether the XML really belongs
in the Asynchronous Javascript And Xml technique anyway. Neither are
there any libraries for doing drag and drop or fading colors or
simulating "classes" in a language that doesn't need them, like those
other Javascript libraries have.

So, until Zope 3 is hosted on a twisted.web server instead of the
homegrown HTTP server it uses, I don't think LivePage has much to
contribute to this discussion, other than suggesting a useful
implementation technique for creating interactive web applications.

Donovan