[Twisted-web] Introduction, newbie confusion plus an offer

lloyd at paisite.com lloyd at paisite.com
Wed Jul 6 12:33:43 MDT 2005

Hello,

I'm Lloyd, I'm baffled, and I'd like to offer my modest talents to help
others like me come up to speed with Twisted.web in record time.

I've been looking for a way to bring a large ColdFusion application over
to Python. Twisted.web looks to offer all that I could wish for and more.
The work to date is awe-inspiring. But... the documentation,
well-intentioned as it is, and much more ample than in many Open Source
projects, truly baffles me.

I'm first to admit my limitations: I'm still in the early learning stages
of Python; I understand OO conceptually, but have little experience
writing or reading OO code; and, approaching the golden years, undoubtably
have far fewer functioning neurons than most of the subscribers to this
list, much less the brilliant young turks who have created the Twisted
framework.

But, browsing through the archives, it's clear that I am not alone in my
confusion.

So, I'd like to make a proposal:

I have many years of writing and editing experience. Back in the days when
personal computers were still connected to audio cassette recorders, and I
was as excited but unenlightened about PCs as I am now about Twisted, I
contributed three well-received articles to Personal Computing magazine
under the name Techo Turkey. These helped readers hook up IBM Selectric
Terminals to their new PCs, create a computer-controlled haunted house for
Halloween, and set up a computer-controlled home security system.

I would like now to offer to write some supplementary documentation for
Twisted.web aimed at turkeys like me -- the really really basic stuff plus
sure-to-work examples that can bring even Mickey-the-Dunce to sufficient
level of understanding that he can participate creatively in the Twisted
community.

The catch: I need knowledgeable folks willing to answer my many many
stupid questions like, once you've installed Twisted from, say, Debian,
where should what files go and how should permissions be defined?
Undoubtably these generous mentors would also need to critique my newbie
code and perhaps, even, submit examples of their own. Who know, maybe we
could even get a book out of it.

Any takers?

Best wishes,

Lloyd