[Twisted-web] load balancing and performance

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Sat Jan 29 18:24:49 MST 2005

On Jan 29, 2005, at 7:26 PM, Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone wrote:
>> Perhaps I'm going with wrong priorities though, the major offender is
>> compy, compy must be dropped from Nevow ASAP :). Leaving it as a
>
> compy is not going away :).

dp also stated this at one point on IRC. I didn't have time to discuss
it at that point, but I think it ought to be discussed. Why does nevow
need/want its own components API, that is either 1) is a fork that is
nearly identical to the old twisted API (when running on Tw 1.3), or 2)
uses the old twisted API compatibility layer (when running on Tw 2.0).
Twisted has successfully disposed of its components API, for several
good reasons. What purpose does it serve to continue the life of that
code in Nevow?

As far as I'm concerned, the appropriate course of action is to convert
everything to use the zope interface API.

> Writing a compy2 speedup in Pyrex will help and will probably also be
> faster than zope.interface since it will be a lot smaller.

Now not only are we keeping the old code, but heavily rewriting it? I
have my doubts about those speed benefits, too...

James