[Twisted-web] canvas without flash and optimization patches

Donovan Preston dp at ulaluma.com
Mon Feb 21 12:37:07 MST 2005

On Feb 21, 2005, at 7:17 AM, Stefano Debenedetti wrote:

> So I tried optimizing the canvas.as file and I found out that by
> changing the Canvas protocol in order to use plain old crappy TSV
> instead of XML gives it a performance boost that allows me to push the
> above mentioned refresh rate of the demo to 0.21, i.e. even better
> than the 0.25 that was unreachable before.

This is very amusing. It boggles my mind, really. The reason I used XML
for the Canvas RPC mechanism rather than plain text was because in
theory an XML parser written in C should exhibit better performance
than a text parser written in pure actionscript. In fact, all the other
work I had ever done with Flash used a plain old text format, and
switching to XML was supposed to be an optimization.

With a plain text format, there is the additional difficulty of
supporting nested structures (which is simple in XML). Some of the
encodings include dicts and lists.

Anyway, this is very cool. Thank you.

dp