[Twisted-web] twisted.web.xmlrpc.Proxy plus user and password

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at cutter.rexx.com
Wed Aug 10 17:41:25 MDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 12:31:28PM +1000, Timothy Stebbing wrote:
> Dave Kuhlman wrote:
>
> >I'm trying to write an XML-RPC client that will send requests to
> >an XML-RPC server which requires a user ID and password.  In
> >xmlrpclib, the URL format for this is:
> >
> >   http://userid:password@somehost:aport/...
> >
> >But, twisted.web.xmlrpc.Proxy does not seem to support this.
> >
> >So, is there a way to write a Twisted XML-RPC client that passes
> >in user name and password?  And, if so, how do I do that?
> >
> >I've searched the documentation and done some other searches, but
> >can't find this.
> >
> >Thanks for any help.
> >
> >Dave
> >
> We wrote this at work a while back for communicating with zope xmlrpc,
> hope it helps:

Timothy -

Thanks.  This is great.  It's just what I needed.

And, I definitely vote that this capability (to authenticate with
the XML-RPC server using user name and password) be added
to twisted/web/xmlrpc.py in the TwistedWeb distribution.

And, FYI, I'm also communicating with Zope.  Actually, I'm making
XML-RPC calls to CPS, which is a CMS built on top of Zope.  CPS
exposes some document management functions through XML-RPC.

I'm writing a document on how to use the XML-RPC interface exposed
by CPS.  In addition to code samples of clients implemented with
xmlrpclib, I also wanted to provide an example of a client
implemented with Twisted, which is why I wanted to be able to
write the Twisted XML-RPC client.

You can find my document here:

    http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/cps_remote_controller.html

Thanks again.