[Twisted-web] Diagraming Twisted apps

Sergio Trejo serj_trejo at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 1 07:47:02 MDT 2004

Clark,

I just got around to trying out your suggestion of UML diagrams of my
Twisted application (PyUmlGraph and graphviz). I have both applications
working, but PyUmlGraph requires a running python application. I tried using
PyUmlGraph with a .tac file that I had started as a twistd daemon. This .tac
file contains code that instantiates a few Portals (and Realms tied to the
Portals) for the purpose of running a Perspective Broker Server (listening
on a specific port). PyUmlGraph seems limited because it only captures
intantiated objects at run time (thus the python code that PyUmlGraph runs
must have all of the objects of interest instantiated based on the moment
that PyUmlGraph runs the code through the python interpreter). Thus, if you
have a Twisted (PB Server) application running and TCP listening to a port
(I.e., port 8000), sinces its waiting for asynchronous responses (such as
from a PB Client connection and login), I don't know of any way to run
PyUmlGraph in order to capture the objects that are instantiated by an
asynchronous trigger. Maybe I'm missing something. Do you have any
suggestions on how to use PyUmlGraph in this regard?

Cheers,

Serj