[Twisted-web] Nevow: Authenticated site with "remember me" and vhosts

Valentino Volonghi dialtone at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 16:08:57 MST 2004

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 22:47:01 +0000, Matt Goodall <matt at pollenation.net> wrote:

> One of the problems with guard is that there is no API exposed. It might
> be nice if guard remembered an IGuard interface for application code to
> use. What that would look like and how it would behave is something I
> have not considered.

Actually I think the current implementation is better since it's
completely unaware of what it is guarding, thus making it really
pluggable and easy to remove.

Probably, a good thing to do is to set as a component the current
avatarId in the session. So that from application code one could say:

and probably also provide some functionality to set some default
'rememberings' which I currently do with the RememberResourceWrapper

> My rewrite is *much* simpler. It's not as complete as nevow.guard
> although it does work and has the distinct advantage that it does not
> create a session until it's really needed.

indeed it's far better than current nevow and a lot easier to hack.
> Valentino (aka dialtone) recently started patching my version in an
> attempt to bring it inline with the real guard. He's even started
> calling it newguard ;-). I guess this is a case of "watch this space"

Ehe :), If can get things to work as I want, and get some help from
Tv, newguard should be ready soon. Right now it works fairly well and
it's backwards compatible with old guard.

And, as I wrote in the note inside guard.py, I'm willing to write some
support for database session storage, which will come in handy for my
next university project about distributed systems.

Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone
Now running FreeBSD 5.3-beta6
Blog: http://vvolonghi.blogspot.com
Home Page: http://xoomer.virgilio.it/dialtone/