[Twisted-web] Re: ignoreExt value archived inside a web.tap?

Sergio Trejo serj_trejo at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 17 00:32:32 MDT 2004

Alex,

Much thanks for your suggestion and pointing a newbie in the right
direction. Your suggestion with the snips worked just fine.

The number of options available via the Twisted framework is really amazing.
I prefer the word "amazing" instead of "daunting" because immersing oneself
into Twisted is  like being a kid who parachuted into the Willy Wonka
chocolate factory for the first time in his/her life. Twisted truly is
network programming "for the rest of us" (or as Steve Jobs would say,
network programming for "mere mortals"!).

The passion and dedication that the Twisted developers bring to the table is
awe inspiring. The Internet is still such a newbie itself relative to the
history of humankind, and I have a strong feeling that frameworks like
Twisted are going to play an important role in the growth of Internet
services (with Twisted we can now think of the 'net itself as a global OS
with objects that intercommunicate with each other from all corners of the
planet).

I used to dabble in Java but then it seems to get too bloated (how many
Addison Wesley books on Java can fit on one's bookshelf anyway?). Has there
been much discussion about Twisted compared to any of the Java packages? Is
it even fair to try and compare (e.g., would it be like comparing apples
with oranges)?

I have another question -- with regard to twisted.web and the related pieces
of the framework such as twisted.enterprise and nevow, is it fair to compare
this Twisted/Nevow framework with Apple's WebObjects (WebObjects of course
getting its birth at NeXT in the 1990s)? WebObjects apparently runs on OS X,
Solaris and Win32 (and possibly Linux), and is based on Java. But I do
wonder if perhaps Twisted has leap frogged over WebObjects (which was state
of the art at one time and to be fair is still a fairly darned good system
as Apple built their entire iTunes Music Store using WebObjects).

Again, hats off to Twisted -- I feel that this is only just the beginning.
I've been talking to my IT friends about Twisted non-stop the past several
days!

Serg