[Twisted-web] Web rewrite plan

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Sat Apr 24 01:34:50 MDT 2004

Okay, so I branched Twisted to start the web rewrite in twisted.web
now, since it has been declared that the tmlabs name change isn't going
to happen. This leaves the web rewrite without a reasonable home, but
for now, we're going to ignore that. So, web rewrite is just going to
happen in a branched copy of twisted.web. This may not be its final
home, because it is not a goal to be completely API compatible, but for
now, that is where it's going to be hacked upon. Once the whole naming
thing is *actually* decided, we can move it somewhere else.

svn://svn.twistedmatrix.com/svn/Twisted/branches/new-web

Somewhat repeating my earlier email: here's what's going to happen on
this branch:
- Rewrite of http.py
- Removal of old cruft
- Integration of Nevow generic web stuff: appserver, guard.
- Fixup of rest of files to work right with nevow-originated API
changes.

I will continue working on http.py separately in my sandbox until it
mostly works, and will integrate with this branch then.
dreid has said he'll start working on integration of nevow generic web
stuff and removal of ancient cruft once he bludgeons radix into giving
him commit access.

Open question: does Nevow go into twisted/web/? If so, how do we handle
standalone (not depending on twisted at all) nevow? Perhaps standalone
nevow is just a branch of twisted/web/nevow/ with appropriate
modifications? If nevow isn't a package in twisted/web, dirlist and
failure can't go into twisted.web because they depend on Nevow.

James