[Twisted-web] Re: Unwinding the Twisted Web (a progress report)

Alex Levy mesozoic at polynode.com
Fri Apr 23 13:49:22 MDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 11:46, James Y Knight wrote:
> On Apr 22, 2004, at 7:27 PM, Christopher Armstrong wrote:
> > I think we should just put all backwards-compatibility code into
> > twisted.web. So twisted.web will be API-compatible, and all of our BC
> > code will live in Twisted. It will still require tmlabs.web (or
> > whatever), and just wrap its APIs.
>
> Lofty goal -- but I'm not sure it's actually possible. See current
> state of Nevow compatibility.

I think what we need is a situation where applications written entirely
with twisted.web.*, and no Nevow whatsoever, still function properly.
Breaking backwards-compatibility for all those users would be a big
mistake.

I believe this is what Chris has been talking about -- right?

If we can't maintain that backwards-compatibility through wrapper APIs,
then we should leave the old twisted.web in the Twisted package for at
least one or two release cycles, pepper it with DeprecationWarnings, and
do our best to tell users to either spend the minimal effort porting
their app to tmlabs.web, or to keep using old versions of Twisted.

--
Alex Levy
WWW: http://mesozoic.geecs.org/

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right."
-- Salvor Hardin, Isaac Asimov's _Foundation_