[Twisted-web] Unwinding the Twisted Web (a progress report)

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Fri Apr 23 09:46:17 MDT 2004

On Apr 22, 2004, at 7:27 PM, Christopher Armstrong wrote:
> I think we should just put all backwards-compatibility code into
> twisted.web. So twisted.web will be API-compatible, and all of our BC
> code will live in Twisted. It will still require tmlabs.web (or
> whatever), and just wrap its APIs.

Lofty goal -- but I'm not sure it's actually possible. See current
state of Nevow compatibility. It's somewhat backwards compatible, and
works for "normal" resources, but has certain things that don't quite
work together due to new resource API. Do you think that's fixable? I
have not spent a great amount of time looking for a solution so there
may be one but I didn't see an easy fix.

Or do you mean backwards compatible in that you could the old API, but
it won't necessarily work if you use it with the new API in the same
app? Perhaps just that twisted.web.* has been reimplemented such that
its internals are now written in terms of tmlabs.web but it's otherwise
a separate world? If so, I'm not sure that's actually worth much.

James