[Twisted-web] Unwinding the Twisted Web (a progress report)

David Reid dreid at dreid.org
Thu Apr 22 04:56:47 MDT 2004

I had been trying to straighten out the model for the split since my
first post to twisted-web regarding it.  Now that radix, and exarkun
have split twisted.news out of the core codebase as "lowdown". Since
then I have begun work on my own source tree of twisted.web, the module
has been split as "unwound" which is my proposed name as mentioned in
the numerous naming threads (to be installed as tmlabs.unwound if
desired.)

So far I've done the following:

 * duplicate the source tree renaming the toplevel module and changing
the imports accordingly.

 * run the tests (everything passes just as it does in twisted.web)

 * removed modules that were deprecated BY woven, and added a
Deprecation Warning message to unwound.woven.__init__

If there are no complaints about this I'm asking someone (like radix) to
help me complete the rest of the steps necessary to make this the
official split so i can start working on changes and enhancements.  The
things I can't do on my own, atleast not as part of twistedmatrix.com is
setup the SVN repo and the project page.

Also it appears if radix and exarkun did not solve (or atleast did not
implmenet a solution for) the tap naming conflicts.  I.E. if lowdown or
tmlabs.lowdown is going to use mktap news or mktap lowdown instead.

Other than that, Unwound is currently a useable tree of twisted.web At
revision 10601.

(I'm open to changing the name to either tmlabs.web or some cute/catchy
name other than 'unwound', but ultimately I think that is a policy
decision that falls on the core twisted devs.)

--
David Reid
Claim to fame: "I actually wrote code that used twisted.web.webwidgets!"