[Twisted-web] Flamebait

jonathan vanasco jvanasco at mastersofbranding.com
Thu Apr 15 23:05:06 MDT 2004

Thanks for the input!

I've been working on this one project in my spare time for 3 years now
-- an online concerts database, cross-referencing cities artists genres
venues, everything you could imagine, and sending weekly emails based
on your interests.

I got it  up and running, pretty quickly, in php/mysql 3 years ago --
except it was ungodly slow.  Part because of poor design on my fault,
part because of  the  tools I chose.

Two years  ago, I recoded it into procedural perl and made a lot of
headway in optimizing it.

One year ago, I recoded it into object oriented perl under mod_perl,
and had even bigger gains in speed and use.

About the same time though, I started using Python a lot more.  Now, I
rarely use  anything else.  So I'm trying to code it again, in twisted
and postgres, for a few reasons:
   1 - i could touch perl a whole lot less, and deal with more
readable/editable code that i write way faster
   2 - i didn't like the  memory usage of what I had under mod_perl
(likely  because of my errors, but twisted would be more strict and
make me keep in line) -- having a single daemon that handles all the
code just seems smarter and more efficient.

I'd be interested in your approach to caching.  While the bulk of what
I see this project going is dynamic, certain elements and templates are
static -- and the constant reading off of disk seems excessive.