[Twisted-web] Flamebait

Michal Pasternak michal at pasternak.w.lub.pl
Thu Apr 15 14:51:39 MDT 2004

Jonathan Vanasco [Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 01:54:25PM -0400]:
> I couldn't think of a better title for this question...

That's really sad. How about "Twisted Web performance benchmarks" ? Perhaps
you're spending too much time reading slashdot...

> Does anyone have any benchmarking stats on Twisted/TwistedWeb/Nevow in

Twisted, Twisted Web and Nevow are 3 totally different products. What do you
want to benchmark and compare?

> comparison to Apache's mod_perl, mod_python or (gasp) php for general
> tasks?

What is a "general" task?

> You know, basic stuff like serving static pages,

Use 2 machines and ab (apachebench) utility from apache package. I am pretty
sure, that in some conditions you could come out with suprising results.

Check out http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~mdw/proj/seda/ site, for example - as
they claim to be event-driven architecture in Java, which outperforms
Apache, I suppose they did some benchmarks.

> generating dynamic
> pages out of thin air, and generating dynamic pages off of parsed
> templates.

I don't think, that topic like 'generating dynamic pages' is compareable
between languages until you come up with a strict definition of that page.