[Twisted-web] Splitting twisted-web from core twisted.

Christopher Armstrong radix at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Apr 15 10:48:44 MDT 2004

Thomas Mangin wrote:
> A large part of what makes twisted attractive is the ease of
> implementation of services with it. Removing woven/nevow from twisted
> does not look like a good idea to me. It would mean that creating web
> services around twisted will become harder, which is something
> twisted is really good at.

Well, it's pretty much already decided to do this. But hopefully I'll be
able to explain why this isn't a bad thing.

> Twisted is the best "glue" framework I have ever seen (it allow us to
> integrate LDAP, web, XMLRPC - and other things together in a
> /coherent/ manner.

Heh heh -- LDAP support isn't in Twisted proper (Ldaptor is a third
party package). You still cite it as coherent with the framework! This
is proof that your worrying about coherency isn't justified.

> It allowed us to develop our internal tools not like a patch of
> etherogenous scripts but like something coherent, easy to maintain
> and improve as nearly everything we needed was already there.

Twisted is currently very hard to maintain, for us. For *you*, the only
change is that you'll have to 'apt-get install twisted-web' as well as
'apt-get install twisted'. :-)

> To provide you some background, our web server is currently
> implemented using woven - so my opinion may be biased but we are
> planning to port our code to Nevow when/if it is integrated. Having
> the code of Nevow/Woven in the twisted tree mean that people using it
> are sure that it is kept in sync by the automatic build test and I
> think it is important that it stays here.

Nevow is definitely never going to be integrated with Twisted.

> Now should you think that the old code should be replaced, I would
> suggest that you leave the current web code here, for people like me
> using it, but create a new www section (or whatever name)

Yeah, we'll probably leave the existing stuff in Twisted for a while,
with a deprecation warning to use the new packages.

Anyway, I think you're overreacting; the coherency of the quality and
integration of Twisted projects is not going to be lessened by this
breakup (we're breaking out a lot more than twisted-web: conch, flow,
lore, protocols, they're all being split up).

These will still be Twisted "official" projects. They will still be
coherent. The reason we're doing this is to make maintaining and
releasing easier. Twisted is just too huge and has too many parts of
differing stability to make it practical to keep it together.

---------+           http://radix.twistedmatrix.com/