[Twisted-web] Seeking more examples

Matt Goodall matt at pollenation.net
Fri Apr 9 04:05:54 MDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 09:49, Ellers wrote:
> >> I'd like to write a messageboard-like website/application in twisted.
> >>
> >> [snip]
> >>
> >> I was hoping that someone on this list could point me to some more examples that I can learn from -- everything that I've seen so far has focused on one or two pages, and I'm trying to figure out how to have multiple page types and more info.
> >
> > The ultimate example of using nevow is Quotient. Unfortunately, it's probably not the easiest to follow.
>
> I think it would be awesome to have a directory of examples that build up from crawling, to walking then running with twisted/nevow. Twisted/nevow is something much more powerful than, say, Perl's CGI.pm but that package is very easy to learn, to see what it can do, how to use it, etc. Examples using CGI.pm are at: http://stein.cshl.org/WWW/software/CGI/examples/

Yes, we could use the wiki for this. There are quite a few "crawling"
examples in the Nevow's examples/ directory too. Perhaps the wiki page
should list the examples/ as a start and then others can add to it over
time with contrib resources etc.

I probably have simple examples sitting on disk here. I will commit
anything I can find to sandbox/mg/ and then perhaps we can move some
into examples/ if they are useful.

You might want to track the subversion repository, even if it's just for
examples.

> Aside from being great for beginners, there is another great benefit to lots of small and medium examples. A framework built for one application tends can be a bit myopic. If there are lots of little examples, each showing how to do one element cleanly and clearly, the framework will probably need to bend a little (or a lot!) and everyone will benefit.

Agreed, Quotient (for instance) is far too big to learn from unless
there's a particular concept you need and know what to search for.
Bigger applications also tend to be heavily refactored which often makes
things harder to follow.

> I'm still a beginner with Twisted/Nevow and, if I can figure it out, I'd love to contribute some examples. In the meantime I want to flag it as something that would be cool and worth the effort.

Great! As Donovan mentioned, there's often a few people on the
#twisted.web IRC channel to help you get going. If you can come up with
useful examples then I'm confident someone will add them to the SVN
repository.

Cheers, Matt

--
     __
    /  \__     Matt Goodall, Pollenation Internet Ltd
  __/  \__/    e: matt at pollenation.net
 /  \__/  \    t: +44 (0)113 2252500
 /  \          Any views expressed are my own and do not necessarily
 \__/          reflect the views of my employer.