[Twisted-web] First Post?

Travis B. Hartwell twisted-web@twistedmatrix.com
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 01:53:42 -0700

Christopher Armstrong <radix@twistedmatrix.com> writes:
<snip>
> This is almost exactly what Plonk_ does. It uses the filesystem for
> storage, allows through-the-web editing (especially useful if you have
> Mozex), and allows you to use ReST or HTML.  The only thing it doesn't
> support is (automatic handling of) submenus. You can have arbitrarily
> deep pages nested within each other, though, and each page lists its
> children (if you support that in your template, anyway). I'm in the
> process of rewriting Plonk to use Nevow, and I might try to implement
> your submenu thing. I'm also working on some features for saph_ to use
> in her upcoming website_, like better blog features and image gallery
> stuff.

This is all well and good, and perhaps Plonk is what I want.  But, for
the benefit of my understanding, and of those perhaps trying similar
things, what is the general way of attacking this in Nevow?  I'm
assuming that there would be three different "fragments" -- as Donovan
called them -- involved here.  One fragment would be the main
navigation bar in the header.  The other fragment be this
sub-navigation menu that I had on the left in my example.  The last
fragment would be the body.

A click in the main navigation bar would change the menu on the left,
, the body, and the currently selected "section title" would be
hilighted.  When an item is selected from the sub-navigation menu, a
couple of things might happen.  If that link leads to a leaf node,
just the body is updated.  If it has sub-nodes, it will expand those
out and display the main page for that sub-section in the body.  With
both of these options, the appropriate current location is hilighted.

I can see those interactions, but I don't know anything of where to
start.  I'm still not completely sold on wanting to use Plonk, and I
think I would learn easier if I did this instead of having to grok the
code for Plonk.  Plus, isn't that what Twisted and Nevow are about?
No...not the NIH syndrome...it's doing exactly what you want.  Right?

Travis