[Twisted-Python] List of required builds before a merge

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Mar 13 07:54:11 MDT 2018

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 9:36 AM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:

> We can try Circle-CI.
> They don't offer any free versions. Even for open source.
> When I did the initial work for Twisted with Travis and Appveyor I
> contacted Circle-CI to see if we can get a discount.
>
> They offered OSX - Seed plan which comes with 500 minutes/month - free.

They advertise this on their site now:
https://circleci.com/pricing/#faq-section-os-x

So I would expect Twisted could get it.

Your point about the minutes limit is a good one though.  What is 500
minutes to Twisted?  Around 30 builds?  It seems likely Twisted would run
out most months.  Certainly, maintaining separate coverage and non-coverage
builds would totally blow this limit.  And one of the big advantages of
hosted CI over buildbot - letting third-party PRs trigger builds - would
seem to be out of the question.

> I stopped as the people on IRC told me that Circle-CI is not better than
> Travis.

Presumably at some point this was true.  These days, in my experience,
CircleCI definitely seems competitive.  It has near feature parity (and
more features in some areas), a less crufty configuration system, and seems
better resourced (but this may just be better resource management - eg, the
500 minute macOS limit for free open source users).

Of course, there's also the fact that the macOS Buildbot slaves are
*not* offline
right now.  I know they've gone offline but as far as I know, their
maintainer is fairly responsive to reports of this.  So, is macOS really
part of this problem?

The immediate problem is all of the Rackspace-hosted slaves that are gone,
right?

So maybe what's more interesting is that CircleCI offers a way to replace
those - with either VM or container (including custom-image) builders.

Jean-Paul