[Twisted-Python] non-merge commits to trunk & "review" keyword

Tristan Seligmann mithrandi at mithrandi.net
Tue Mar 7 02:52:38 MST 2017

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 at 09:56 Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2017, at 9:02 PM, Tristan Seligmann <mithrandi at mithrandi.net>
> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 at 06:38 Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com>
> wrote:
>

> This is definitely bad, forbidden by existing policy, etc.  In fact I
> remember adjusting the settings so that the 'merge' button would always
> create a merge commit; in fact, the configuration is still set that way.
>

> Rebase merging was allowed when I checked earlier, so I disabled it (I
> guess I managed to do this before you looked at the configuration).
>

> Perhaps I only did this for some other repos, then.  Did I miss your
> announcement of this?  Hint, hint? :)

 By the time I got to my email client (which admittedly was several hours
after I made the configuration change), your email had arrived, so my reply
ended up being the "announcement" too. The last time I looked at these
settings, rebasing was not allowed, so I guess somebody else turned it on
(possibly by accident); the GitHub audit logs don't go far back enough for
me to check who did it and when, but that means the change happened over
several months ago.

> I suspect that is what happened here, but note also that these settings
> only control what is possible by pressing the merge button on GitHub; you
> can construct commits locally however you like and push them, as long as
> you get green commit statuses for all the mandatory commit checks.
>

> Is this true even for people with just repo:write?

I haven't actually tested this scenario, so I could be mistaken; inferring
from other things it shouldn't matter what your permissions are (for a
non-force push).