[Twisted-Python] Twisted 17.1.0rc1 Release Candidate Announcement

Amber Hawkie Brown hawkowl at atleastfornow.net
Sat Jan 28 15:39:52 MST 2017

Hello everyone!

16.7 didn't go as well as planned, so I thought we'd try again in the new year! So, here is Twisted 17.1, the first release of 2017. It's got all the cool things that were going to be in 16.7, *and more*. Wow!

- twisted.web.client.Agent now supports IPv6! It's also now the primary web client in Twisted, with twisted.web.client.getPage being deprecated in favour of it and Treq.
- twisted.web.server has had many cleanups revolving around timing out inactive clients.
- twisted.internet.ssl.CertificateOptions has had its `method` argument deprecated, in favour of the new raiseMinimumTo, lowerMaximumSecurityTo, and insecurelyLowerMinimumTo arguments, which take TLSVersion arguments. This allows you to better give a range of versions of TLS you wish to negotiate, rather than forcing yourself to any one version.
- twisted.internet.ssl.CertificateOptions will use OpenSSL's MODE_RELEASE_BUFFERS, which will let it free unused memory that was held by idle TLS connections.
- You can now call the new twist runner with `python -m twisted`.
- twisted.conch.ssh now has some ECDH key exchange support and supports `hmac-sha2-384`.
- Better Unicode support in twisted.internet.reactor.spawnProcess, especially on Windows on Python 3.6.
- More Python 3 porting in Conch, and more under-the-hood changes to facilitate a Twisted-wide jump to new-style classes only on Python 2 in 2018/2019. This release has also been tested on Python 3.6 on Linux.
- Lots of deprecated code removals, to make a sleeker, less confusing Twisted.
- 60+ closed tickets.

You can get the tarball and the NEWS file at https://twistedmatrix.com/Releases/rc/17.1.0rc1/ <https://twistedmatrix.com/Releases/rc/17.1.0rc1/> , or you can try it out from PyPI:

    python -m pip install Twisted==17.1.0rc1

Please test it, and let me know how your applications fare, good or bad! If nothing comes up, 17.1 will release in a week.

A bit more hopeful this time,
    Amber Brown