[Twisted-Python] Python3 twistd daemon for Ubuntu 14.04 alternatives

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Feb 23 03:51:15 MST 2017

On 23/02/17 10:27, Hynek Schlawack wrote:

> What I don't quite understand is how people can be in love with Go’s
> static linking but complaining about Virtualenvs in deployments.
> Unwieldy as virtualenvs are: *for Python code* they are exactly that:
> statically linked build artifacts.  The principles are very similar,
> the execution is arguably better for Go.

Well, for one thing, Python virtualenv are problematic w.r.t. being
relocatable. That alone makes them harder to use than a Go binary.

But honestly I think we're talking at cross purposes. I'm not
complaining about virtualenv. We use them quite successfully.

I'm trying to point out that *some* might find the system Python
attractive because they can use OS-supplied python packages in lieu of
the effort of setting up a binary build infrastructure.

But I'm clearly not getting my point across, so I'm going to stop now.