[Twisted-Python] Python3 twistd daemon for Ubuntu 14.04 alternatives

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Feb 22 10:17:25 MST 2017

On 22/02/17 13:06, Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:

> Ah!  They are now, maybe you haven't seen them?
>
> Check out https://github.com/pypa/manylinux and
> https://github.com/pypa/python-manylinux-demo

I had not seen this. Thanks, this looks like a big leap forward.

> A lot of people seem to be thinking that way.  /Personally/, with my
> experience with Go (about five months solid at previous employer), I
> wouldn't go anywhere near that stack.  There are plenty of
> /other /things with appealing features that Python lacks which would
> seem to make a better move. :)

Very possibly!

Go as a language leaves me cold, and there are downsides to the
one-big-binary approach. But it's undeniably easy to deploy in a
container, and the concurrency is very attractive.

> But check out the story for binary wheels.  The state of things in
> Python may not be /quite/ as bad as you think.

Indeed, it does look like a promising improvement.