[Twisted-Python] Python3 twistd daemon for Ubuntu 14.04 alternatives

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Feb 22 05:08:11 MST 2017

On 22/02/17 11:12, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

> I'm tempted to launch into a diatribe about namespacing, containers, and
> application isolation generally, but before I do - why is it that you
> /want/ to use the system Python environment?  Had you just not
> considered the option of virtual environments?

Awesome though it is, virtualenv can be very tedious if you need to
install hundreds of megabytes of compiler and -devel packages. System
packages are attractive precisely because you can avoid this.

I've had to do all sorts of tedious things with containers where I spin
up a temporary container to build a bunch of .whl files, then actually
install them in the final container - all to avoid bloating the
container image with the build tools.

It's a real shame that binary wheels on Linux/PyPI aren't a thing. I
understand the reasons why, but TBH it substantially reduces the value
of the Python ecosystem for me.

Go is looking like a more and more attractive competitor to Python,
frankly, having sidestepped this problem entirely.