[Twisted-Python] Welcome to the "Twisted-Python" mailing list

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Apr 19 20:55:57 MDT 2017

> On Apr 19, 2017, at 5:21 PM, Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 4:11 PM, Adam Wozniak <adam.wozniak at axonvr.com <mailto:adam.wozniak at axonvr.com>> wrote:
> This is a problem in twisted.  Buldbot uses twisted.
>
> To make buildbot git polling work for me, I had to make the change below.
>
> Based on zturner comment #17 in
> http://trac.buildbot.net/ticket/2936 <http://trac.buildbot.net/ticket/2936>
>

> I left a comment on that ticket forwarding the straightforward fix that can be applied to BuildBot to address this problem.
>
> It's certainly true that there are shortcomings in the spawnProcess API so I won't try to argue that this isn't a problem in Twisted.  However, some of those very problems make it difficult to fix any of the problems.  It seems more likely that spawnProcess will eventually be replaced by a better API (if the problems are ever fixed at all, that is).  Meanwhile, since the fix in BuildBot is quite simple, that seems like a good direction to pursue.

spawnProcess may remain a useful primitive for something higher-level, or it might be replaced, but there has been some discussion of what that might be for quite some time:

https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/2415 <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/2415>

Getting some new momentum on that ticket would be good.

-g