[Twisted-Python] Deprecating classes and writing tests

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Mon Jun 13 05:26:31 MDT 2016

Hi,

What is the best practice for deprecating a class in Twisted and writing
tests for it ... and updating existing tests.

I think that the part in which the deprecation code is written, is well
understood and documented here

http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/core/development/policy/compatibility-policy.html#classes

What is missing, is the part talking about how to test these changes and
how to update existing tests.

The compatibility / deprecation documentation include a section about how
to test deprecation code, but the section is brief.

http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/core/development/policy/compatibility-policy.html#testing-deprecation-code

----

This email is a follow up of a review done for this ticket
https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/8368

Please also check the comments on that ticket.

Please leave your feedback and we can try to apply and document it as part
of the work for ticket #8368

Regards,
--
Adi Roiban