[Twisted-Python] Multiple plugins in "twistd"

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Wed May 20 05:13:25 MDT 2015

On 19 May, 09:01 pm, tom.prince at ualberta.net wrote:
>Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> writes:
>>You could also find some other way to split the argument list but "+"
>>doesn't seem particularly obscure in this context to me.  (If there's
>>really a need to pass a literal "+" to a plugin we could add an
>>escaping syntax as well.)
>
>I think if we are adding syntax, then we should also add escaping at
>the
>same time.
>
>On a related note, when designing this kind of syntax, I think it is
>often valuable to explictly leave some of the space as an explict
>error,
>to leave freedom to extend the syntax in the future.

I think this is 100% correct.  This is part of why I don't want the
syntax added to `Options`.  If it's a feature of, say, a "compose"
twistd plugin then you can always throw the whole "compose" twistd
plugin in the trash and start again.  That gives you quite a lot of
space for syntax changes. :)

(And of course, not introducing a syntax at all leaves you even more
room... but talking this crowd out of inventing weird syntaxes is
probably an exercise in futility.)

Jean-Paul