[Twisted-Python] PotentialZombieWarning warning message?

pisymbol . pisymbol at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 07:52:57 MST 2015

Hi:

I'd like to adopt Twisted for a current project I'm coding up. I'm on
CentOS 6.7 x86-64 using python v2.6 and the stock
python-twisted-8.2.0-3.1 package built for this release.

No matter what I do when trying to implement the Process protocol or
use utils.getProcessOutput() directly, I always see the following
warning message on the console:

/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/twisted/internet/utils.py:25:
PotentialZombieWarning: spawnProcess called, but the SIGCHLD handler
is not installed. This probably means you have not yet called
reactor.run, or called reactor.run(installSignalHandler=0). You will
probably never see this process finish, and it may become a zombie
process.
  reactor.spawnProcess(p, executable, (executable,)+tuple(args), env, path)

Is there anyway to get rid of this message? I realize I'm using an
older release of twisted but I can't upgrade to the latest without
incurring the cost of installing an python v2.7 or greater.

My script is literally:

d = utils.getProcessOutput('/bin/ls')
d.addCallbacks(writeResponse, noResponse)
reactor.run()

etc.

What am I doing wrong?

-aps