[Twisted-Python] qt4reactor on PySide (Was: Serial interface for software program)

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed May 7 01:57:24 MDT 2014

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 10:06 PM,  <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
> On 06:49 pm, sank.daniel at gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> There's a 3rd party event loop for Twisted that runs on top of Qt
>>> (qt4reactor), which would
>>> allow Twisted and Qt code to run in the same thread.
>>
>> Speaking of which, why isn't that thing officially part of twisted? Super
>> useful.
>
> The PyQt team insists that the PyQt license is incompatible with Twisted's
> license (this is an intentional simplification, you can read more about the
> issue on PyQt's website if you really care).
>
> Since PySide now exists this is potentially no longer an issue. However, the
> last thing I heard about using PySide to run the Qt reactor is that it
> segfaulted sometimes.
>
> So perhaps the reason is that someone needs to do some work to determine if
> PySide is actually safe to use with the Qt reactor now and, if it is,
> shuffle some code around.

I think Twisted users just need to start using it, have this doc at hand -
https://code.google.com/p/spyderlib/wiki/HowToDebugQtCrash -
and register on https://bugreports.qt-project.org/ if there is a trouble
(or just mail PySide list).

> However, I'm not even sure if the GUI reactors *should* be distributed as
> part of the main Twisted package.  They are already first-class reactors via
> the plugin system.  Independent releases let them track changes in the GUI
> library they're each concerned with more quickly than they could if they
> were part of Twisted itself.
>
> Perhaps there are other reasons, like simplicity of packaging or quality of
> continuous integration testing, that would override those issues and make it
> worth bringing Qt reactor back into Twisted.  Sorting that out is also a
> task that requires someone interested to step up an do some work, though. :)

The question was - why super useful Qt reactor loop is not a part of Twisted.
I think that if it is really useful, it should,
--
anatoly t.