[Twisted-Python] git?

Jonathan Ballet jon at multani.info
Mon Mar 17 02:25:09 MDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 01:34:28PM +0900, Jonathan Ballet wrote:
> > > This would be an even more straightforward patch to Twisted, in twisted.python.versions.
> >
> > I've created #7036 for this task.
>
> So, I was looking at twisted.python.versions and I'm wondering how is it
> supposed to work with recent versions of Subversion (the ones which
> removed all the ".svn" in all the sub-directories, I don't know which
> one started this.)
>
> Looking at
> https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/browser/trunk/twisted/python/versions.py#L210
> (line 210 to 215), I don't know how it supposed to work with recent
> version of Subversion:
>
>  * the "twisted" module in this case would refer to the file
>    "trunk/twisted/__init__.py"
>  * but the ".svn" directory is going to be in "trunk/.svn" so the
>    function always returns None

Actually, it's going to be the same thing with Git, the ".git" is one
level higher than the package which is passed to Version() in this case.
Version() can still run "git describe" or the like to get the latest
changeset number but:

* it's probably going to launch the "git" command which might be costly
* if for some reason the package is not from a Git repository, but
  there's one (potentially completely different) in a parent directory,
  "git describe" will happily return the changeset number from this
  upper directory and it's going to give some funky revision number.