[Twisted-Python] git?

Jonathan Ballet jon at multani.info
Sun Mar 16 20:47:21 MDT 2014

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 01:12:42PM -0700, Glyph wrote:
> >> If someone would like to turn this list into a wiki page under <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/Infrastructure> that would be great, so it could be updated with anything I've forgotten. Right now there's the beginnings of a SwitchToBazaar which should probably be deleted, since we're not going to do that.
> >
> > I don't have edit permissions on the wiki, so I took the list of stuff
> > you mentionned here and made a wiki page joined to this email.
>
> What's your username?  The only reason we even have edit permissions is to prevent spamming, anyone may ask for edit permission at any time :-).

Oh yeah, maybe that's needed... My username is 'multani', thanks for
editing me!

> > Compared to the SwitchToBazar page, here are the things which are
> > missing from your email - I don't know how relevant they are though:
> >
> > * mailer post-commit hook
>
> Yeah, we probably need this.  It seems like this ought to be pretty trivial to set up in git though :-).
>
> > * the release scripts
>
> Oh, good point.  These rely fairly lightly on svn, but the dependency is there.
>
> This would be a good place to start.  Unfortunately, since tagging works differently in svn and git, I don't think we can simply start doing the release out of git without a repository to push to.  If I'm wrong about this, so much the better, and we could actually start having release managers use git if they like :).  Regardless, all the code to do so could be tested and landed as a normal development task with no administrative blockers, so this might be a good place for someone interested in moving the process along to start.

That's twisted.python._release right?
greping for 'svn' in this module shows only 4 lines which are running
the 'svn' command, for which only the 'rm' will actually change the
repository (used to remove the NEWS fragments).

I've created #7035 for this, I'll try to have a look today. When I'll
have the edit permissions on the wiki, I'll update the SwitchToGit page
to reference to this ticket.

> > * figure the version number from Git instead of Subversion
>
> This would be an even more straightforward patch to Twisted, in twisted.python.versions.

I've created #7036 for this task.

> > * decide what to do with Combinator
>
> I think Combinator is an evolutionary dead end at this point.  Tools like virtualenv, virtualenvwrapper, pyenv,

It seems a part is missing here :)

 Jonathan