[Twisted-Python] Freezing Ampoule or the Invasion of Infinite Zombie Processes

Burak Nehbit burak at nehbit.net
Sun Mar 9 01:31:33 MST 2014

I wonder why you decided to use Ampoule to manage a single child process
(that apparently shouldn't be restarted when it exits)?
Mostly because Ampoule handles quite a bit of stuff behind the scenes. I didn’t want to use it per se—to not add extra complexity to the stack, chiefly—but it was the only way I could get it to work. It also gives me a very nice AMP interface which I am already familiar with, and that allows me to communicate with my frontend very liberally.

I think Ampoule's purpose is to make it easy to run many processes and
automatically restart them from time to time.
I agree. Though it’s also very useful as an drop–in implementation of a Twisted spawnProcess for one single other process.

It sounds like the basic process support included in Twisted,
reactor.spawnProcess, could address your requirements.
I have just found your answer here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6678763/simple-example-with-spawnprocess

which seems useful. If nothing else works, I will try to reduce complexity by converting this to bare spawnProcess.

Any ideas on what might be going wrong in my current stack? After all, processes being repeatedly created is just a symptom of something going wrong in the process very early, so ampoule tries to spawn another one. I am mainly looking to find a way to see the exception and where it happens. Twisted’s logging module seem to kick in too late.

Best,

Burak