[Twisted-Python] Twisted names client.getHostbyName dual-stack operation

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jan 9 04:13:53 MST 2014

On 08/01/14 23:05, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

> However, if you’re building a big service to run in the cloud, or on a
> VPN, on specially-tuned machines that you configured, using
> twisted.names can be more scalable and allow you to react more
> reasonably to high load situations.  Or, at least, it will give you a
> level of control so that you can tune it, since just doing potentially
> blocking platform stuff in a thread is not amenable to tuning.

Sure, agreed - I folded those concerns into the "user-supplied names"
bit ;o)

Using a resolver directly is totally appropriate in certain use-cases,
and t.names is a good choice if you're using Twisted[1] but I think of
it like "should I use UDP instead of TCP for my protocol" - if you have
to ask, the answer is no.

(In fairness to the Chrome guys, they've probably got the chops to
reimplement it properly and are doing enough innovative stuff in Chrome
that having an in-browser resolver is reasonable, so my dig at them is
probably unfair ;o)

[1] Modulo a couple of rather big holes that I know people are already
working on, like source-port randomisation for Kaminsky-resistance, and
so on.