[Twisted-Python] doc bloat

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Tue Dec 2 03:02:20 MST 2014

As a Twisted API users, I don't find a big problem the fact that __repr__
docstring is presented by pydoctor together with the other method,

As a Twisted contributor, I don't like when I have to copy/paste docstring
from an interface or from an inherited class ... or too explicity state
that the type of None is NoneType... and then to add a link to it :)

> As a first approximation, I think we could ask twistedchecker to stop
enforcing docstring requirements for objects directly matching a "private"
naming pattern.

Is there a ticket/issue for that?
What does `stop enforcing docstring requirements` mean?

I think that docstring are important, and testing code or private methods
is still code which should be maintained and it should have docstrings, but
it would be nice not to ask for
strict @param @type @return @rtype.

-------

+1 for getting serious about twistedcker ...

I would be happy to help with twistedchecker, as well as with the other
automated tools.

What do you say if we put all problems/issues/comments here
https://github.com/twisted/twistedchecker/issues
and have 2 or 3 people who can decide if an issues is accepted, or help
define the right behaviour or reject it and then also review the pull
requests.

Right now there are many "undecided" or not tagged tickets, and I don't
know which one is a real problem or not.

One important requirement to move things forward is to provide quick
feedback, both for the initial issue report and the review.
Waiting months to get feedback from a patch is not fun and is a sign that
core developers don't care about the newly proposed changes.

+1 for getting serious about the other code checkers: pyflakes and
pydoctor. Right now, is a PITA to run all these tools on your local
computer ...

Cheers
--
Adi Roiban