[Twisted-Python] Running unit tests without trial?

Russell E. Owen rowen at uw.edu
Wed Sep 25 12:15:08 MDT 2013

Is it possible to run twisted.trial unit tests using python instead of
trial, i.e.: "python mytest.py" instead of  "trial mytest.py"?

I'm hoping there is some simple magic I can put into the unit test
itself to make this work. Perhaps something in
if __name__ == "__main__":
   ...?
to make it start up the reactor and run it correctly.

I ask because I'm using a build environment that runs all unit tests
this way. It does the sniffing out and the saving of logs, but it
insists on running .py tests using python.

-- Russell

P.S. being *able* to run trial unit tests using python seems like a
feature to me in any case -- one I'd be willing to add extra code to
support. Trial has some nice features, but I find it confusing that it
is *required* to run a single test with a ".py" extension when visually
it looks like a python file.