[Twisted-Python] infrastructure hosting confusion / cleanup

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Sep 17 18:29:42 MDT 2013

Pages like this one:

<http://buildbot.twistedmatrix.com/builders/pyflakes/builds/1008>

information about the source code being built in the form of a git revision.

As long as we're still using Subversion for our upstream VCS, it would be desirable to also have a Subversion revision number.

I wanted to request this, but even I have lost track, at this point, of where to file bugs for things like this.

It looks like we're hosting our infrastructure projects on Github right now, which means <https://github.com/twisted-infra/twisted-buildbot-configuration> would be the place to go.  But there is no 'issues' link there.  Nor any link to any place where bugs might be filed.

I guess <https://bugs.launchpad.net/twisted-buildbot-configuration> is still what is being used for that thing? But then that project provides a non-up-to-date view of the source code.

Richard Wall's draft for a new "new ticket" page directs people to file issues against twisted-infra but that appears to be wrong in this particular case, since the buildbot configuration doesn't have a bugtracker there.  <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/users/rwall/DraftNewTicketPage>  Plus, that suggestion links to a list of like a zillion infrastructure projects, half of which don't even have a description that explains what they are, let alone where to file bugs.

Can someone please volunteer to update all of the READMEs on all of these projects, and all of the various locations where they've ever lived, to point at the actual, canonical place where infrastructure is developed?  It would be good if users who want to report that the website is down or ask for an enhancement to the website, or Trac or Buildbot instances did not have to select between a dozen different projects that they might file an issue against.

(Perhaps they should all link to <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/Infrastructure> or some page beneath it, which can _remain_ the canonical location for everything and be updated once, since based on our history it seems likely that half of our infrastructure will randomly move to Bitbucket, or perhaps to Sourceforge, at some point in the future...)

If someone who has not previously participated in infrastructure development would like to take point on creating such a resource, I will be happy to get you the appropriate access to any systems you need to.

-glyph