[Twisted-Python] Twisted as a full solution for web hosting [WSGI + other]

Orestis Markou orestis at orestis.gr
Sun Oct 20 03:21:26 MDT 2013

Hello,

Short form of the question:

Are people using Twisted to host WSGI applications AND serve static files AND replace celery/redis/other? Are there any inherent drawbacks in using Twisted for this use case?

Long form of the question:

These days to get a reasonably feature-full python web stack deployed you need to have a lot of 3rd-party libraries.

The bare minimum looks probably like so:

1. Your web-framework of choice, like Django
2. Some kind of WSGI container, like gunicorn
3. A static file server, like nginx
4. Some kind of database [off-topic for this message]

Additionally, you might want:

* Celery
* Redis
* Cron
* Something for web sockets or similar technology
* … and so on

In my experience, Twisted can be used to replace a lot of those use cases:

* It has a WSGI container
* It has a static web server
* It can be used for other long-running tasks

I'd like to know if there is some kind of inherent drawback of using Twisted to fill those areas. My use case deals with many small intranet-like deployments of web applications, and I'd like to streamline the stack as much as possible. I believe that with the newly-released Crochet someone could even write a Django extension to replace `runserver` with something more production-oriented.

Orestis