[Twisted-Python] Some thoughts hacking with AMP (was: something about multiplexing and accessing protocols)

Laurens Van Houtven _ at lvh.io
Fri Nov 22 05:10:03 MST 2013

Hi,

Some thoughts while hacking:

- The argument having access to the responder locator and then eventually
it going to a responder function is kind of useless, usually. The responder
function already has a reference to the locator, usually called "self" :)
- The locator object can be shared between different connections, so a hack
using the current status quo where you get the proto using the responder
locator is... well, hacky.

Also, I do really really want the protocol and not the transport. This is
because I want to pass a reference to the protocol around so that later I
can call callRemote on it. That I can also get the transport is mostly just
gravy so that I can return nice things for my fake transport's
getHost/getPeer.

So, to reiterate:

- I think all the docstrings should reflect the real situation. I guess I
need to file a ticket for that.
- Maybe there should be a new API that passes the proto (and actually means
"proto" ;))

I think I have some code up (or will have some code up soon, depending on
when you read this email) that does have sort-of working multiplexed
transports:

https://github.com/lvh/txampext

When done, this will be available from pypi as txampext==0.0.6.

If anyone is interested in this, the next big feature mark will be
integrating _habnabit's AMP producer stuff, so that it's not just
transports, but IConsumer/IProducer transports as well.

cheers
lvh