[Twisted-Python] So... Python 3.4 is getting its own async I/O system

Tim Allen screwtape at froup.com
Mon Mar 18 23:00:19 EDT 2013

In Guido's keynote at PyCon 2013, apparently he talked about adding an
async I/O module to Python 3.4. It looks like his slides can be viewed
here:

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xknbe58zcvjhzhv/PyCon2013.pptx

...while this is the PEP he's talking about:

    http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3156/

At first glance, the proposed reactor API looks very much like Twisted's
(or, to be fair, GTK's, or possibly any number of other async event loop
I'm less familiar with) but rather than Deferreds and callbacks, the API
will be based around Futures (similar, but not identical, to Python
3.2's concurrent.futures.Future class), and an inlineCallbacks-style
decorator for generators.

I know Deferreds are awesome, and I don't know much about Futures (and
I know Twisted core developers have given negative reviews of
other Deferred/Promise/Future implementations in, say, JavaScript
libraries before), and inlineCallbacks seems to have a negative
reputation among experienced Twisted users. Is there anybody on this
list who knows more about this new PEP (maybe somebody who's at PyCon
and saw the talk in person) who can give us an informed comparison with
the current state of Twisted?