[Twisted-Python] How to dispatch message to different servers

Tristan Seligmann mithrandi at mithrandi.net
Sat Mar 2 12:25:32 EST 2013

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 03/02/2013 03:24 PM, Tristan Seligmann wrote:
>
>> I don't really understand how this is any easier with PB than with
>> AMP, though. With AMP, you "just" need the same command definitions on
>> both sides. With PB, you need the exact same Python code versions for
>> every class you are sending over the wire;
>
> I don't use PB like that. I only ever send simple data structures made
> of builtin types (int, str, list, dict).

Interesting; I guess that's obvious in retrospect but I hadn't thought
of using PB like that, and I suppose it's not possible to use AMP like
that.

>> You don't quite have to do a TCP handshake for every request you want
>> to send over an HTTP channel, but there are still some problems.
>
> You're not telling me anything I don't already know.
>
> My point is that, for the use-cases *I* have, those limitations have not
> proven to be a problem, so the effort of deploying a protocol which avoids
> those limitations is not warranted.

Sure, I didn't mean to imply otherwise, just wanted to clarify for the
purposes of the discussion. It sounds like your analysis is sound for
the use cases you're concerned with, I don't have any objection to
that.