[Twisted-Python] logging

Christopher Armstrong radix at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Jun 17 21:02:15 MDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 7:48 PM, James Y Knight <foom at fuhm.net> wrote:

> I'm surprised that a thread with 32 messages about logging doesn't seem to
> have once mentioned windows events, osx structured syslog, or systemd
> journal as important design points.
>
> Maybe people are thinking about such things in the background but it looks
> a lot like this is being designed in a vacuum when there's plenty of air
> around.
>
> And, no sane sysadmin should ever want a twisted-specific log file format
> or to write custom python log filters. That's crazy. Gimme a verbosity knob
> and the ability to emit structured log events to existing systems, with a
> fallback plain text file format. Great.
>
> The prime goal, it seems to me, should be exposing features useful for
> facilities present in existing log systems.
>
> And having a logging system which doesn't even support a basic log level
> is just silly. Hopefully the new system can at least have that.

The proposed logging module does include levels.

Also, I have definitely been thinking of real logging systems during this
conversation -- in fact, I've been planning on experimenting with some of
the popular *structured* logging systems these days and I plan on
implementing and contributing log observers for them. I do think the "json
file" log format is pretty pointless, though it might be a nifty exercise
(unless there is some structured log aggregation system that reads json
data from disk files?)

I think your accusations of design in a vacuum are too hasty and
inflammatory. The whole reason I'm so interested in this discussion is to
take advantage of *real* logging systems that can aggregate, filter, and
search lots of log streams, based on structured event streams.

--
Christopher Armstrong
http://radix.twistedmatrix.com/