[Twisted-Python] logging

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Jun 15 20:17:11 MDT 2013

On Jun 15, 2013, at 8:33 AM, Christopher Armstrong <radix at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> It sounds like you're arguing that the human-readable *.log format
> should be closer to the simple key/value representation that we use
> underneath.
>
> Would you also argue that instead of having a log line that looks like:
>
> 2013-06-15 10:24:21-0500 [-] Server Shut Down.
>
> We should actually format them (in twistd.log) like this?
>
> time=1371331461.0 system='-' msg='Server Shut Down.'

I'm actually arguing that, in the log *file* it should look like this:

{"log_format": "{service} service shut down.", "log_system": "-", "log_time": 1371331461.0, "service": "dns"}

When a human actually reads it (with, as a straw man, 'python -m twisted.python.log read twistd.log.json'), I'd rather it still read somewhat like the above starting '2013...': except, for example, with the time translated into their local timezone (or the timezone of the computer where they're reading the logs, at least).

But I'm not saying that we should change the default twistd.log format for now; I'm sure there's tons of tooling built up around the ad-hoc text-based nature of it as it is and I wouldn't want to break that.  I'm just saying that we should add additional options for logging to things other than plain text files, and those are the things that we should build tools to get information back out of.

-glyph