[Twisted-Python] logging

Christopher Armstrong radix at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Jun 15 10:17:10 MDT 2013

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 11:09 AM, Christopher Armstrong
<radix at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 5:14 PM, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>> Hello everybody. Today I'd like to talk about everyone's favorite subsystem
>> within Twisted: logging.
>>
>> There are a number of problems with Twisted's logging system.
>>
>> The general theme of these problems is that Twisted log system was designed
>> with some intended use-cases in mind, but its implementation was stopped
>> halfway through and none of those use-cases were really well satisfied.
>>
>> At various conferences, and in person at various times, we've gotten
>> together to express frustration at the logging system, but I don't think
>> that the problems with it have ever been really thoroughly written down.
>>
>> Wilfredo has been working on logging here:
>> http://trac.calendarserver.org/browser/CalendarServer/trunk/twext/python/log.py.
>> This began as an attempt to just address some issues with our own logging
>> wrappers, but has been growing into a design that is more fully capable of
>> replacing logging within Twisted wholesale. I hope one of us can contribute
>> it to Twisted soon, but in the meanwhile, please feel free to provide
>> feedback - hopefully if some people can provide a bit of informal feedback
>> now, the formal review process can be shorter and more pleasant :).
>
> I like it. Let's merge it.

I think I would just want one more feature:

>>> Logger().emit(dudelog.LogLevel.warn, a="hi")

Right now, this doesn't spit out anything into my log file, with
default observers. I want it to emit some simple representation of the
keys and values.

On the other hand, the same is true of log.msg(a="hi"), but maybe this
should be implemented (somehow) in Logger() codepath to avoid breaking
compatibility?

--
Christopher Armstrong
http://radix.twistedmatrix.com/