[Twisted-Python] on contributions

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Jun 5 00:29:17 MDT 2013

A few times recently (most recently in my email on Github) I have mentioned that I am more interested in getting more people to review Twisted tickets than in getting more people to write new patches to Twisted.

Based on some feedback that other contributors have sent me privately, I'm afraid that this may have given the wrong impression.

It's not that I don't want people to write patches for Twisted.  I do.  I want everybody to write patches for Twisted all the time!  It's also not that I don't appreciate the time and effort that went into those patches.  I do.

In fact, it is because I appreciate that time and effort that I have said I want to optimize for reviews.  It bothers me a lot that someone, having gone through the effort to craft a patch to Twisted, might have to wait for weeks or months for a reviewer to even thank them for that patch, let alone do a full review and give them the feedback they need to get it landed.  I am constantly looking for ways to give quicker, feedback and better experiences to new contributors.

I think the tools Github offers might help, but we (the core Twisted team) will still need to think of better ways to motivate ourselves and to induct others into the reviewer community.  (If this has inspired you to do a review, there are plenty waiting: <http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/report/15>.)

So, please, go on contributing patches to Twisted; I thank you for your contribution and I thank you doubly for your patience.

Thanks,

-glyph