[Twisted-Python] Improved StandardIO support in Windows

John Popplewell johnnypops at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 11:37:52 EDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 01:35:41PM -0700, Glyph wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2013, at 12:58 PM, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:

> >> OK, thanks, I'll do that.
> >
> > To add to what Itamar wrote a bit, an important part of this strategy is
> > that the individual pieces the task gets split into need to each make
> > some kind of sense on their own.  It's fine for there to be dependencies
> > (but the dependencies should only go in one direction), but a ticket the
> > summary of which is "apply this patch to _win32stdio.py that I wrote"
> > won't work very well.  Instead, be sure that the tickets are things like
> > "implement feature foo for Win32EventsReactor".
>
> And to refine this even further:
>
> It's OK for the patches to be smaller than "implement feature foo", as
> long as they make sense on their own.
>
> For example if we already implement feature foo, but you want to
> re-factor it so that it's easy to implement feature bar in terms of
> that same code, you could have a ticket just for doing the inner
> refactoring, that does not expose any new public classes or features,
> as long as that refactoring has a good explanation and a good impact
> on the internal API.
>
> Based on the last patch I see on this ticket, it looks like that's
> what you're trying to do with a lot of the 'Channel' objects; these
> need better documentation and test coverage, but it looks like some of
> that work could be off on its own.
>
> -glyph

Ok, I'm following this. Just been off my PC for 18 hours. I'm up for
doing things properly (unlike some of my previous, um, code dumps).

I've had some practice figuring out tests, I've had a look at the
coding standard and I'm happy to have a go at some documentation.

I'm finally getting the patch+test coverage message especially as
several of the existing tests (after I enabled them) pointed out
short-comings in the code as I was working on it.

I should be able to get something together in the next day or two, right
now I need some sleep.

Thanks for your helpful reponses, I'm keen to make a useful contribution
to Twisted as it has served me well over the years,

best regards,
John.