[Twisted-Python] dynamic FTP realm

Paul Wiseman poalman at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 15:44:51 EDT 2012

On 28 September 2012 15:32, Tom Sheffler <tom.sheffler at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Paul -
>
> I'm very new to twisted (I've only just started using it, so I apologise if
>> anything I ask is seemingly obvious!).
>> I'm looking to try and set up a FTP server which will serve a file
>> structure and files which don't exists on the server (the file structure
>> information is stored on cassandra, and the files are on s3). The file
>> structure and files will also be unique to the user, so different logins
>> will generate the file structure for that particular user, but I guess I
>> can adress that later.
>

> Here is a quick sketch of some of the steps ... but beware, I haven't
> debugged this.  You'll want to subclass twisted.protocols.ftp.FTPShell with
> a new command interpreter
>
>     class PaulsFTPShell(FTPShell):
>
> The you'll need to write a Realm that returns an instance of your FTP
> Shell:
>
> class PaulsFTPRealm(FTPRealm):
>     """
>     @type anonymousRoot: L{twisted.python.filepath.FilePath}
>     @ivar anonymousRoot: Root of the filesystem to which anonymous
>     users will be granted access.
>     """
>     implements(portal.IRealm)
>
>     def __init__(self, ....)
>
>     def requestAvatar(self, avatarId, mind, *interfaces):
>         for iface in interfaces:
>             if iface is IFTPShell:
>                 if avatarId is checkers.ANONYMOUS:
>                     avatar = None
>                 else:
>                     avatar = PaulsFTPShell( ...)
>
>                 return IFTPShell, avatar, getattr(avatar, 'logout',
> lambda: None)
>         raise NotImplementedError("Only IFTPShell interface is supported
> by this realm")
>

> Then you'll stich it all together like this:
>

>     f = FTPFactory()
>     r = PaulsFTPRealm()
>     p = Portal.Portal(r)
>     p.registerChecker(...)
>
>     f.portal = p
>
> Hope this helps get you started.

Thank you. I've made quite a bit of progress and now have my own Portal,
CredentialsChecker, Realm, Shell, and FilePath object.

One thing I haven't been able to work out is, when I override, lets say
listdir for example in FilePath, I need to make a webcall to find out the
folder contents, how can I make this call asynchronously?

I'm guessing I need to used deferred in someway, but seeing as listdir
doesn't return deferred objects I'm not sure how to make it work.

As listdir gets called from the Shell I guess I could change how blocking
calls in my FilePath object get called?