[Twisted-Python] Does Twisted support TCP MD5 Signature Option?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Sep 13 08:14:24 EDT 2012

On 13/09/12 12:59, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:
> On 01:40 am, penxiao at cisco.com wrote:
>> Hi experts
>>
>> Does Twisted support TCP MD5 Signature Option?
>> If does, how to use this?
>> Very thanks.
>
> Not specifically.  You can get the underlying socket and call
> `setsockopt´ on it, though.  I've never used TCP MD5 signatures (it's a
> pretty obscure feature that is not widely used), is being able to set
> the socket option sufficient to "use" the feature?

It's worth noting it has to be compiled into your kernel.

I'm somewhat curious what the OPs use-case is; the original use was for
protecting BGP sessions, but I understand it's specified in some
versions of the PCI standards (the credit card stuff, not the peripheral
slot) now?

For what it's worth, I think it's the wrong solution to almost all
problems. TLS is far, far superior, as is IPSec/AH if you need the
traffic to be protected but in cleartext.